Thursday, November 13, 2008

Contempt

The movie is about a failed playwright (Michel Piccoli) who is hired by a shady American producer (Jack Palance) to work on the script of a movie by a great veteran director. Piccoli is married to a sexy former typist (Brigitte Bardot) that the producer has his eye on.
This movie to me just doesn’t reach its goals. The characters are both kind of droll in the sense that they are so fake that it sort of makes me sick. I feel that there’s no rational thinking throughout the film at all. It’s almost as if they are puppets which are operated by means of strings. For example, the scene where Camille is lying in the bed naked and asks Paul if he likes her toes, ankles, and calves. The mood is right and everything and when Paul makes a move to try and have sex she pushes him off. Then she starts asking questions again. Are you serious? Why is she laying there butt naked only to tease and not to please? It just seems so incomplete in my opinion.
I have reviewed a few of John Luc-Godard’s films and to me this is one he could have kept because although it has its moments of creativity it just more boring than some of his other films. Some of his other films don’t seem so robotic but have a smooth flow to them. All great film writers have one or two films that rave bad reviews and some critics even say this film was great. But to me compared to his others this movie is one I didn’t care for that much. In closing, I must say that back in the 60’s there weren’t too many films where you saw a woman’s bare booty in films such as this so I give Godard credit for having the guts to put that on the screen.

No comments: